Sunday, December 26, 2010

The journey... and a sympathy card

Sympathy cards are something I rarely do. I started this blog roughly two years ago to showcase some of my work. My card making has changed (for better or worse) over the last several years. I started out scrapbooking almost 9 years ago but changed to card making after a dear friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer. Kathy battled breast cancer roughly 8 years ago. She had just passed the coveted 5 year point. Not long after, she found out her cancer had returned. This time the prognosis was anything but good. Her doctors gave her a year at best. I decided to try my hand at card making. And for close to 2 years I mailed a card nearly every week. That is until the last few weeks.... life slipped up on me and before I knew it 4 weeks had passed without sending a card.... and then Wednesday I was given the news.... Kathy had passed on....

Kathy was a devoted Christian and not a day went by that she didn't share her testimony. The love of Christ beamed in her eyes even as the rest of her body failed. She was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother and friend and will be missed by her friends and family. She is no longer suffering. But I know she would want me to continue on and make cards for others. She enjoyed them so and took every opportunity to share with others how much she loved her "mail" from me. So this card (2 actually) will go to her husband and daughter. They close a wonderful chapter and friendship in my life. Until we meet again Kathy....

Blessings -

Lori

This card was inspired by a card I spotted in one of the many magazines I receive each month. I used my brayer to roll on a light coat of gray ink and then followed by stamping the tree image on top. I finished it off with a red bird and the sentiment in black.


Card Recipe

5 x 7 Inches

Card Stock - Black, White - Georgia Pacific, Silver - Bazzill
Designer Paper - The Paper Series - Silver Wedding Ornate
Ink - Image & Background - Stampin Up - Going Gray
Ink - Sentiment & Scripture - Memento - Tuxedo Black
Ink - Cardinal - Memento - Rhubard Stalk
Stamps - Image & Sentiment - Front - Papertrey Ink - Through the Trees
Stamps - Scripture - Inside - Our Daily Bread Designs - Scripture Series 1
Ribbon - Offray - 7/8 Simply Sheer Black


I added one of my favorite scripture stamps from Our Daily Bread Designs inside. The red bird came from the Papertrey Ink set.





1 comment:

Tam said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Beautiful card.

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...