Saturday, February 19, 2011

Coming Home



I'm blessed! There are many blessings that I can count on any given day. However, there is always one that comes immediately to mind. I'm home. Let me clarify for a moment. I have lived several places in my life but at this moment I live 15 minutes from where I grew up and spent my formative years. Many people long to get away from those roots and early in life I too decided I had to spread my wings. But after a few wing clippings (some deserved and some not so deserved) I managed to come home. As hard as I tried to deny my roots, I am a country girl! I love being able to walk out my door any given day and hear the bleating of sheep. I love being able to turn my Saint Bernards loose on our 10 acres of fenced in land and watch them play. I love being able to go to work and drive by the cemetery where my dad was laid to rest. I love working across the street from the high school I attended so long ago. It warms my heart to take an afternoon stroll and hear the laughter of teens coming out of those school doors. Kentucky is a beautiful place and my home is just a small part of that beauty. This image from Stampendous reminds me of my home county. You see, they are considered the covered bridge capital of Kentucky. There is a great deal of history there. The cemetery my father was laid in contains the remains of one of the Iwo Jima flag raisers immortalized in Rosenberg's famous photo. It's a beautiful place and if you are ever in this part of the world, take it in. I promise you won't be disappointed! I have included a few links at the end so you can check it out yourself! Blessings!

Lori
Saintsrule!

Card Stock - Bazzill
Designer Paper - The Paper Loft - Back Country - Fly Fishing; Daisy D's - Deb Strain - Rooster
Stamp - Image - Stampendous - Covered Bridge
Stamp - Sentiment - Hero Arts
Ink - Image - Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics
Ink - Sentiment - Close to My Heart - Outdoor Denim
Distressing Ink - Tim Holtz - Antique Linen - Applied to Image after coloring with Copics
Spellbinders - Standard Circles Large, Petite Scalloped Circles Large, Pendant Lattice
Fibers - Offray Verano Tan 1 1/2", Offray Satin Leaf 5/8"
Pinking Shears
3D Crystal Lacquer - Sakura Hobby Craft - (applied to water)



Copics -

Greenery - YG03, YG13, YG17
Sky - B0000
Water - B21, B23, B26
Bridge - C2, C3, C5, E55
Wood - E13, E18, E37, E57

Check out these links for more information about our area!

Fleming County Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
Blue Licks State Park
Maysville Kentucky Tourism

4 comments:

Snowmanlover said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Tam said...

Nice card. And you're very lucky - my formative years weren't in one spot. I kind of feel like an orphan. LOL

Stacy said...

Very pretty card, I love it
Hugs
Stacy

Francie G. said...

This is so very beautiful. Beautifully designed and colored! Loved you story. We moved to Louisville in 1976 from Florida. (I grew up in Florida.) I must admit I'm not crazy about winter, but I'd rather live in KY. than any other state! A beautiful place to be!

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...