Monday, October 8, 2012

Exploring Cricut - Breast Cancer Awareness

Welcome to another fun challenge at Exploring Cricut!  This rotation we are focusing on Breast Cancer Awareness!  As many of you may know, October marks Breast Cancer Awareness. 

Personally, I have had friends and family members diagnosed with this terrible disease.  And I know we as a nation long for the days when this terrible disease will be eradicated. 

Several years back a woman from my church was diagnosed with cancer.  She was a breast cancer survivor and had reached the coveted 5 year mark before it returned.  I had just started creating cards a few months before.  I asked God for guidance.  What could I do?  I felt so powerless and quite honestly useless.  One morning it came to me.  I could make cards!  So every week for over a year, I sent her a card.  As the days became shorter and her journey home came to a close, her family told me just how much those cards meant.  She kept each and every one in a box and would go through them over and over.  When her eyesight became weak, she would ask her husband to read each and every card to her.  He told me how animated she would become when he told her "a fat envelope" was in the mail.  That gentle soul lost her battle with cancer but her spirit lives on and I know that the angels in heaven have a beautiful new voice!  This one's for you Kathy... because we do have hope...

hugs...


Card Recipe

Cart - Cricut - Stand and Salute (ribbon 4.25 inches)
Papers - Bazzill, Paper Studio, Prima - Romance Novel
Ink - Versafine Black Onyx
Embossing Folder - Provocraft Polka Dots
Stamps - Our Daily Bread Designs - Hope


5 comments:

Kim said...

Beautiful Story Lori. It just shows you it's the little things like a card that can mean so much to people. We all need to step back from our busy lives and remember that more often. So sorry for your loss.

Diane said...

Love your card Lori!!!!

Sharon said...

Oh Lori, this is so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing about your friend. We tend to forget that sometimes just a simple act of kindness means the world to some. :)

Annette said...

Lori, what a great tribute to your friend! This is such a lovely card:)

Annette
My Mind's Dust Bunnies

Tam said...

That is so sweet (and sad). Lovely card.

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...